Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

BBC picks former Google executive as new boss

The appointment to the high-profile role comes as the under-fire British broadcaster

Credible News by Credible News
March 25, 2026
in Foreign, ICT, News, Politics
0
BBC picks former Google executive as new boss

Matt Brittin to lead BBC

0
SHARES
5
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The BBC on Wednesday named Matt Brittin, a former Google executive with no television or journalism experience, as its next director-general.

The appointment to the high-profile role comes as the under-fire British broadcaster faces drastic shifts in the media landscape and a $10-billion lawsuit brought by US President Donald Trump.

“The BBC Board has today appointed Matt Brittin as the 18th Director-General of the BBC. Matt, former President Google EMEA, will take over the role on 18 May,” the BBC said in a statement.

Chairman of the BBC board, Samir Shah, said: “Matt brings to the BBC deep experience of leading a high-profile and highly complex organisation through transformation.”

Also Read: Google invests N3 billion to boost AI growth in Nigeria

Brittin’s name has been circulating in the UK media for weeks, after the current director-general, Tim Davie, resigned in November over the editing of a documentary about Trump.

The Times daily wrote ahead of Brittin’s appointment that appointing a tech executive with no direct experience of television or journalism would be a “significant shift” and “raised some eyebrows.”

The Daily Telegraph quoted an unnamed senior media figure calling this a “huge, huge risk.”

Davie, who has held the post since 2020, is due to step down on April 2, and Brittin will be taking on a challenging post.

The job specification posted on the BBC website in November described the role as one of “the most important, high-profile public posts in the UK.”

For over a decade, Brittin was president of Google’s Europe, Middle East and Africa division, which earns around a third of its revenue.

The 57-year-old stepped down last year after 18 years at Google, saying he wanted a break.

Last year Brittin became a fellow of the Royal Television Society, which hands out prestigious awards. In his acceptance speech he admitted to “imposter syndrome.”

He voiced admiration for the British television industry he had “been trying to get into for a very long time.”

And he named favourite shows including cult BBC sci-fi series “Doctor Who.”

He was educated at the University of Cambridge, but his late father grew up in a small shop in London with “BBC wireless, radio, for news and entertainment,” he has said.

Brittin describes himself on LinkedIn as a “Gap year student” with an image of him rowing.

He represented the University of Cambridge three times at the annual Boat Race against Oxford and also rowed for Great Britain.

Early in his career he worked at Trinity Mirror newspaper group, now called Reach, in non-journalistic roles.

Last year he was made a CBE, Commander of the Order of the British Empire, for services to technology and digital skills.

BBC said earlier this month it had formally asked a US federal court in Florida to dismiss Trump’s lawsuit over a BBC documentary that edited his 2021 speech to supporters ahead of the US Capitol riot.

The documentary was “never aired in Florida – or the US” or available to stream there on any platform, a BBC spokesperson said.

Brittin takes up the job at a politically sensitive time for the BBC, which is due to renegotiate the Royal Charter that outlines the corporation’s governance. Its current charter will end in 2027.

A sizeable proportion of the BBC’s income comes from the licence fee, which is payable by all UK households with a television, or whose occupants watch live screening online.

But the BBC lost more than £1.1 billion in revenues in 2024-2025 as UK citizens dodged the licence fee and fewer homes felt the need to apply for one, a parliamentary committee report said in November.

It also found that while the BBC remained “a trusted institution”, it was “under pressure”, struggling to retain its foothold in an evolving media landscape.

 

 

PUNCH

Tags: BBCMatt BrittinSamir ShahTim Davie
Previous Post

Kano Govt commends DSS for rescue of kidnap victim

Next Post

Ndidi completes Eagles camp as 22 players train

Credible News

Credible News

Next Post
Super Eagles suffer shock in 2-1 loss to Rwanda in AFCON qualifiers

Ndidi completes Eagles camp as 22 players train

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Tiktok

Court remands Tik Toker for posting President Tinubu’s obituary

July 25, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
FRSC launched a special enforcement operation, code-named “Operation Guduma

FRSC unveils Operation Guduma to improve highway safety

May 18, 2026
Nasir El-Rufai has been re-arraigned before the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services

DSS re-arraigns El-Rufai again over phone tapping

May 18, 2026
Team Nigeria celebrates gold medal victory in Accra

Team Nigeria celebrates gold medal victory in Accra

May 18, 2026
The military said the strikes were carried out in the general area of Metele following intelligence reports

Nigerian, US forces kill 20 ISWAP fighters

May 18, 2026

Recent News

FRSC launched a special enforcement operation, code-named “Operation Guduma

FRSC unveils Operation Guduma to improve highway safety

May 18, 2026
Nasir El-Rufai has been re-arraigned before the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services

DSS re-arraigns El-Rufai again over phone tapping

May 18, 2026
Team Nigeria celebrates gold medal victory in Accra

Team Nigeria celebrates gold medal victory in Accra

May 18, 2026
The military said the strikes were carried out in the general area of Metele following intelligence reports

Nigerian, US forces kill 20 ISWAP fighters

May 18, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

FRSC launched a special enforcement operation, code-named “Operation Guduma

FRSC unveils Operation Guduma to improve highway safety

May 18, 2026
Nasir El-Rufai has been re-arraigned before the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services

DSS re-arraigns El-Rufai again over phone tapping

May 18, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.