Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

Court orders N150m final forfeiture in Mutu case

Rep Mutu loses N150m to Federal Government

admin by admin
July 3, 2026
in Crime, Legal, News, Politics
0
Nicholas Mutu

Nicholas Mutu

0
SHARES
6
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the final forfeiture of N150 million linked to a serving member of the House of Representatives, Nicholas Mutu, to the Federal Government.

Justice J.O. Abdulmalik granted the order after upholding an application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, which argued that the funds were proceeds of unlawful activities.

The anti-graft agency said the application was brought under Section 44 ,2, of the 1999 Constitution and Section 17 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006.

The court had earlier issued an interim forfeiture order and directed its publication in a national newspaper to allow any interested parties to contest the action. However, no sufficient cause was shown to prevent the final forfeiture.

According to the EFCC, investigations revealed that Mutu allegedly received kickbacks totaling more than N400 million from an NDDC consultant, Starline Consultancy Services, while serving as Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC.

The commission alleged that the funds were laundered through the bank accounts of two companies linked to the lawmaker, Airworld Technologies Limited and Oyien Homes Limited, where he and members of his immediate family are shareholders and directors.

Also Read: Court awards widow N200m over police killing in Osun

The EFCC further alleged that the consultant sought the committee’s intervention to recover debts owed to the NDDC by oil and gas companies, after which more than N100 billion was recovered for the commission.

It claimed that Mutu’s companies subsequently received part of the consultant’s fees as kickbacks and that, during the investigation, a subcontract agreement was allegedly created to disguise the payments as legitimate business transactions.

The anti-graft agency said the consultant later admitted that the subcontract was merely a cover and that no work had been carried out by Mutu’s companies.

The EFCC also told the court that Mutu refunded N150 million during the investigation but later claimed he did not do so voluntarily and maintained that the payments were lawful.

In his ruling, Justice Abdulmalik held that the N150 million constituted proceeds of unlawful activities and ordered its final forfeiture to the Federal Government.

The EFCC noted that it has appealed against an earlier judgment that discharged and acquitted Mutu in a related money laundering trial based on the same facts and evidence.

 

 

 

TVC NEWS

Tags: Economic and Financial Crimes CommissionEFCCJustice J.O. AbdulmalikNicholas Mutu
Previous Post

Sani stakes ₦34bn to tackle flood in Kaduna

Next Post

Mahrez retires after Algeria’s ouster from World Cup

admin

admin

Next Post
Algerian professional footballer, Riyad Karim Mahrez

Mahrez retires after Algeria's ouster from World Cup

NRS Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
Bandits kidnap students of Federal University of Gusau

Gunmen kill nine in Plateau State

October 2, 2023
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
Fifa president Gianni Infantino

Israel withdraws support for Infantino’s FIFA presidency

August 18, 2026
Court directs 71 banks to freeze accounts

Court directs banks to freeze N1.3bn in mystery account

August 18, 2026
Patrick Vieira has previously managed in the English Premier League as well as in Italy's Serie A

Senegal appoints Patrick Vieira head coach

August 18, 2026
Ben Murray-Bruce

Ben Murray-Bruce writes President Tinubu love letter

August 18, 2026

Recent News

Fifa president Gianni Infantino

Israel withdraws support for Infantino’s FIFA presidency

August 18, 2026
Court directs 71 banks to freeze accounts

Court directs banks to freeze N1.3bn in mystery account

August 18, 2026
Patrick Vieira has previously managed in the English Premier League as well as in Italy's Serie A

Senegal appoints Patrick Vieira head coach

August 18, 2026
Ben Murray-Bruce

Ben Murray-Bruce writes President Tinubu love letter

August 18, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Fifa president Gianni Infantino

Israel withdraws support for Infantino’s FIFA presidency

August 18, 2026
Court directs 71 banks to freeze accounts

Court directs banks to freeze N1.3bn in mystery account

August 18, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.