Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

Relief as schools resume academic activities in Oyo State

NUT suspends strike, directs Oyo teachers to resume duties

admin by admin
July 3, 2026
in Conflict, Education, Human Interest, News, Security
0
Low turnout of pupils in Oyo classroom after resumption

Low turnout of pupils in Oyo classroom after resumption

0
SHARES
14
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The resumption of academic activities in public schools across Oyo State has brought relief to students and teachers, with many expressing optimism that attendance would improve from Monday.

The Nigeria Union of Teachers, NUT, ordered closure of public schools about a month ago, which caused disruption in the academic calendars of the school activities.

The NUT in Oyo State suspended its indefinite strike, directing public primary and secondary school teachers to resume academic duties.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the strike began on June 1 following the abduction of teachers and pupils in the Oriire Local Government Area of the state on May 15 but the teachers are back to work following assurances from the state government to ensure safety in schools.
The government’s commitments to the union included deploying a joint security task force to patrol vulnerable schools, upgrading the Safe School Initiative, and actively working to rescue the abducted individuals.

Some students, who spoke with NAN in Ibadan on Friday on their experiences, said that they had adopted self-study measures to keep up with their preparations for external examinations during the strike.

Miss Ayisa Oni and Miss Oyindamola Akinola, both Senior Secondary School students of Oba Akinbiyi High School I, said they continued studying for the ongoing West African Senior School Certificate Examination, WASSCE.

They also said that preparations were at the same time made for the forthcoming National Examinations Council, NECO, examinations.

Similarly, Miss Rokibat Oseni, a Junior Secondary School III student of Ikolaba High School, Agodi GRA, said she and her classmates were initially distressed when they resumed school on the fateful Monday only to be informed that public schools had been shut indefinitely due to the strike ordered by the NUT.

Also Read: Oyo teachers begin indefinite strike over insecurity

According to her, it was particularly worrying because of the forthcoming Basic Education Certificate Examination, BECE.

“We therefore decided among ourselves to study past questions and mark them with the answers provided in the compilation.

“We also met regularly to discuss subjects such as Civic Education, Social Studies and Basic Technology,” she said.

Oseni said that the announcement of suspension of the strike came unexpectedly on Wednesday evening through the school’s old students’ association.

She said that the news of the suspension of the strike was a glad tiding to all public-school students.

Oseni said that while some students resumed on Thursday including her, many are expected in school on Monday.

A teacher at Oke’badan High School, Oke‑Ofa, who preferred anonymity, said student turnout was still low on the first day of resumption but expressed optimism that attendance would improve from Monday.

The teacher noted that some students had taken up apprenticeships and vocational activities during the strike to remain engaged.

“I hope the engagement will not deter them from returning to school, now that the strike has been called off,” he said.

Also speaking, Mrs. Ibitayo Oluwatayo of St. Patrick’s Grammar School, Basorun, said she did not regard the strike period as a holiday because she remained deeply concerned about the abducted teachers and students in Ogbomoso and prayed for their safe return.

“I intend to intensify lessons to complete the term’s scheme of work, subject to approval”, while urging candidates preparing for examinations later in the year to complement classroom teaching with personal study.

 

 

 

NAN

Tags: Ikolaba High SchoolNigeria Union of TeachersNUTOba Akinbiyi High School IOyo State
Previous Post

Appeal Court voids ruling on hijab at UI School

Next Post

My story at PFIPC, by Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew

admin

admin

Next Post
Adeniyi Adeyemi in his office at the Federal Secretariat, Abuja.

My story at PFIPC, by Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew

NRS Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
Bandits kidnap students of Federal University of Gusau

Gunmen kill nine in Plateau State

October 2, 2023
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
His Excellence President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Tinubu orders national security threat assessment

August 20, 2026
Federal Executive Council meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja

FEC approves new biotechnology policy, bioenergy plan

August 20, 2026
Governor Radda flags off 90,000 bags of grains to vulnerable in Katsina

Katsina uplifts vulnerable families with grains supply

August 20, 2026
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke's convoy attacked during a visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

Gun attack on Adeleke’s convoy is false – Davido

August 19, 2026

Recent News

His Excellence President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Tinubu orders national security threat assessment

August 20, 2026
Federal Executive Council meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja

FEC approves new biotechnology policy, bioenergy plan

August 20, 2026
Governor Radda flags off 90,000 bags of grains to vulnerable in Katsina

Katsina uplifts vulnerable families with grains supply

August 20, 2026
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke's convoy attacked during a visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

Gun attack on Adeleke’s convoy is false – Davido

August 19, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

His Excellence President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Tinubu orders national security threat assessment

August 20, 2026
Federal Executive Council meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja

FEC approves new biotechnology policy, bioenergy plan

August 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.