FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has ordered the immediate demolition of about 30 buildings erected on the Ring Road III corridor in Karsana, Abuja, saying the structures are obstructing a major road project.
Wike issued the directive on Thursday during an inspection of the ongoing construction of Arterial Road N16, a major road project connecting Ring Road II and Ring Road III and extending access towards the Karsana area.
The minister was informed that the structures had been erected directly within the designated corridor of the road project.
The Acting Executive Secretary of the Federal Capital Development Authority, FCDA, Richard Dauda, drew the minister’s attention to the structures during the inspection, explaining that about 30 buildings had encroached on the Ring Road III corridor.
Wike subsequently directed the Department of Development Control to demolish the structures immediately, insisting that private developments must not obstruct government infrastructure or undermine the Abuja Master Plan. “We’ll have to demolish this right now. How can it be like this? It’s a road and not a layout,” the minister said.
The directive comes as the FCT Administration continues to expand and upgrade road infrastructure across the capital, with the Arterial Road N16 project designed to improve connectivity between several major districts.
The N16 project, also known as Shehu Shagari Way, involves the development of the route from Ring Road II to Ring Road III, including major interchanges.
Earlier phases of the wider corridor have linked areas around Katampe, Jahi and other parts of the Federal Capital City, while the remaining sections are expected to improve access towards Gwarinpa and Karsana.
The minister described the N16 project as a major infrastructure intervention and expressed confidence that the ongoing work would be completed by December.
He said the FCT Administration would continue to ensure that critical infrastructure projects were delivered within agreed timelines, particularly those intended to improve movement and connectivity across the territory.
Wike also inspected the ongoing construction of the five-kilometre Zaudna-Kaba-Kagini Road, a project intended to improve access to communities in the area.
The road has been a longstanding demand from residents of Zaudna, Kaba and Kagini, who had previously complained about poor access and the condition of existing routes.
Also Read: Reactive Wike orders demolition of buildings on waterways
In July, the FCT Administration announced the commencement of the project after residents appealed to the government for intervention.
Wike had directed the FCDA to instruct Lubrik Construction Company Ltd. to mobilize to the area and commence work.
The minister, during Thursday’s inspection, pointed to the enthusiasm of residents over the project, describing their reaction as an example of the “true essence of governance.”
The road is part of a broader effort by the FCT Administration to extend infrastructure beyond the central districts of Abuja to satellite communities and improve connectivity between residential, commercial and agricultural areas.
The administration had previously constructed access roads serving Saburi I and II and has continued to identify road connectivity as a key component of its infrastructure programme in the territory.
Wike also inspected the construction of a Magistrate Court in Garki, expressing confidence that the project would be completed by December.
The inspection formed part of the minister’s assessment of ongoing infrastructure projects in the FCT, with emphasis on ensuring that contractors maintain the pace required to meet completion deadlines.
“We’re well impressed that the promises made to the people are being fulfilled. Again, it’s what the Renewed Hope Agenda is all about. So we’re happy,” Wike said.
The demolition order at Karsana also underscores the administration’s position that developments within designated road corridors must not be allowed to compromise planned infrastructure.
The FCT has repeatedly warned against developments that contravene approved layouts and planning regulations, particularly where such structures interfere with major transportation corridors.
For the Karsana structures, the next step is the enforcement of the minister’s directive by the Department of Development Control, which is expected to clear the buildings identified as encroachments on the Ring Road III corridor.
NAN














