Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

Wagner mercenaries rattle Moscow, call of mutiny

Credible News by Credible News
June 24, 2023
in Conflict, Foreign, News, Politics, Security
0
Wagner mercenaries rattle Moscow, call of mutiny
0
SHARES
4
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday raised the specter of civil war after embittered warlord Yevgeny Prigozhin seized control of key parts of the south of the country.

Prigozhin, who has long lambasted Russia’s top brass for their handling of the war in Ukraine, has seized the large strategic city of Rostov-on-Don, a crucial command center for the Kremlin’s war in Ukraine, some 1,000 kilometers south of Moscow.

His Wagner Group mercenary forces also appear to have a foothold around Voronezh, about 500 kilometers from the capital.

Putin has condemned the insurrection as “treason” and Chechen warlord Ramzan Kadyrov has said his fighters have already been dispatched to take the battle to Wagner — raising the prospect of imminent civil conflict inside Russia.

Prigozhin, the head of the Wagner Group military outfit, has announced his forces will turn around just as they were poised to encircle Moscow.

In a voice recording posted to his Telegram channel, Prigozhin said that his forces had advanced to within 200 kilometers of the Russian capital in a single day.

“During this time we did not spill a single drop of blood of our fighters. Now the moment has come when blood could flow,” he said.

“Therefore, understanding all responsibility for the fact that Russian blood will be shed on one side, we will turn our columns around and go in the opposite direction to our field camps, in accordance with our plan.”

Wagner’s rebellious mercenary leader will move to Belarus under the terms of a truce agreed with President Putin, the Kremlin said on Saturday night.

Prigozhin will relocate to Belarus under a deal brokered by Alexander Lukashenko, Belarus’s president, to end an armed mutiny that Prigozhin had led against Russia’s military leadership.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Lukashenko had offered to mediate, with Putin’s agreement, because he had known Prigozhin personally for about 20 years. Minsk has been a key ally for Putin in his war with Ukraine.

As part of the deal, the criminal charges against Prigozhin for leading the “armed coup” will be dropped.

Wagner troops that took part in the rebellion would similarly be spared from prosecution, Mr Peskov said.

Earlier on Saturday, Prigozhin ordered his fighters to halt their march on Moscow and return to their bases in a surprise turnaround.

Tags: MoscowPutinWagner
Previous Post

Sierra Leone votes in two horse race

Next Post

US, others caught off guard by Wagner coup attempt on Moscow

Credible News

Credible News

Next Post

US, others caught off guard by Wagner coup attempt on Moscow

NRS Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
Bandits kidnap students of Federal University of Gusau

Gunmen kill nine in Plateau State

October 2, 2023
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
Police operatives in Kaduna with rescued victims who were abducted by armed men in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area.

Police rescue 75 kidnap victims in Kaduna

August 21, 2026
FBI Director Kash Patel, flanked by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche and Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Jr., speaks during a press conference at the Department of Justice in Washington, DC on Tuesday.

FBI oppose release of Tinubu’s records, cites risk to public interest

August 21, 2026
A Diphtheria patient

Rising diphtheria cases among children worry Gombe State

August 21, 2026
Meta is facing a landmark legal challenge in the United States, with 29 states accusing the company of designing Facebook and Instagram to encourage excessive use among children and teenagers

Meta faces legal challenge over children addiction

August 21, 2026

Recent News

Police operatives in Kaduna with rescued victims who were abducted by armed men in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area.

Police rescue 75 kidnap victims in Kaduna

August 21, 2026
FBI Director Kash Patel, flanked by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche and Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Jr., speaks during a press conference at the Department of Justice in Washington, DC on Tuesday.

FBI oppose release of Tinubu’s records, cites risk to public interest

August 21, 2026
A Diphtheria patient

Rising diphtheria cases among children worry Gombe State

August 21, 2026
Meta is facing a landmark legal challenge in the United States, with 29 states accusing the company of designing Facebook and Instagram to encourage excessive use among children and teenagers

Meta faces legal challenge over children addiction

August 21, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Police operatives in Kaduna with rescued victims who were abducted by armed men in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area.

Police rescue 75 kidnap victims in Kaduna

August 21, 2026
FBI Director Kash Patel, flanked by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche and Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F. Kennedy Jr., speaks during a press conference at the Department of Justice in Washington, DC on Tuesday.

FBI oppose release of Tinubu’s records, cites risk to public interest

August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.