Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

41 migrants missing after Mediterranean shipwreck

Credible News by Credible News
August 9, 2023
in Foreign, Life Style, News, Travel
0
EU, Tunisia reach deal on migration
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

No fewer than forty-one migrants including three children have been feared dead after a shipwreck last week in the Mediterranean with four survivors brought to the Italian island of Lampedusa Wednesday.

Their metal boat overturned during bad weather during the night of Thursday to Friday after setting off from the Tunisian port of Sfax, said a joint statement from the UN agencies for refugees, children and migration.

The survivors, a 13-year-old boy on his own, a woman and two men, were rescued by a merchant ship and brought to Lampedusa by the Italian coastguard, they said.

The Italian Red Cross, which manages the migrant reception centre on the island, said the four were generally in good health.

It confirmed the testimony that there had been 45 people on the boat when it went down, adding that none of those missing were related to the survivors. The four managed to survive the shipwreck by floating on inner tubes, it added.

Credible News reports that the shipwreck is one of several deadly incidents reported in recent days after a period of bad weather.

Officials on Monday had reported that 16 migrants died in shipwrecks off the coasts of Tunisia and Western Sahara.

And on Sunday, the UN’s migration agency, the International Organization for Migration, IOM, said at least 30 people were missing after two shipwrecks off Lampedusa.

The tiny island, located just 90 miles, around 145 kilometres, from Tunisia, is the first port of call for many migrants heading from North Africa to Europe. But many of them do not survive, making the Central Mediterranean migrant crossing the world’s deadliest.

IOM figures from Friday disclosed that more than 1,800 people died attempting the route so far this year, the toll from the latest shipwrecks brings that to almost 1,900.

This is more than double the same period last year, IOM spokesman Flavio di Giacomo said, adding that this was likely to be an underestimate.

Tags: International Organization for MigrationItalyMediterraneanUN
Previous Post

Two die in Lagos multiple auto crash on Eko bridge

Next Post

World Bank suspends new loans to Uganda over anti-gay law  

Credible News

Credible News

Next Post

World Bank suspends new loans to Uganda over anti-gay law  

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Tiktok

Court remands Tik Toker for posting President Tinubu’s obituary

July 25, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1

Arsenal scrap through Burnley

May 18, 2026
National Chairman of APC- Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda

Yero, Katung, Sani clinch APC Senate tickets

May 18, 2026
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu decorating AIG Tunji Disu during a ceremony at the Presidential Office in State House, Abuja

Tinubu fumes after murder of Oyo teacher by bandits

May 18, 2026
One of the kidnapped teachers at Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Michael Oyedokun, has been killed.

Bandits behead Oyedokun, Oyo teacher

May 18, 2026

Recent News

Arsenal scrap through Burnley

May 18, 2026
National Chairman of APC- Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda

Yero, Katung, Sani clinch APC Senate tickets

May 18, 2026
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu decorating AIG Tunji Disu during a ceremony at the Presidential Office in State House, Abuja

Tinubu fumes after murder of Oyo teacher by bandits

May 18, 2026
One of the kidnapped teachers at Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Michael Oyedokun, has been killed.

Bandits behead Oyedokun, Oyo teacher

May 18, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Arsenal scrap through Burnley

May 18, 2026
National Chairman of APC- Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda

Yero, Katung, Sani clinch APC Senate tickets

May 18, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.