Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

Anambra Gov’t takes mentally unstable ex tennis star for rehabilitation

Credible News by Credible News
January 29, 2024
in Health, Human Interest, News, Sports
0
Anambra Gov’t takes mentally unstable ex tennis star for rehabilitation

Tennis equipment

0
SHARES
4
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Anambra State Government has taken a former professional tennis champion, Tanya Okpala, seen in a viral video roaming the streets of Awka into custody for rehabilitation.

The Commissioner for Women and Children Affairs, Mrs Ify Obinabo confirmed the intervention of Anambra Government to the newsmen on Monday.

The commissioner disclosed that Okpala was evacuated from the street on Sunday night, adding that the athlete had been moved to a rehabilitation centre where she was already receiving medical attention.

She noted that the State Governor, Chukwuma Soludo and his wife, Nonye, had followed the pathetic story of the lady and promised to give her the best medical and psychological support that would return her to normal life.

“Yes, we have taken her to a rehabilitation centre; her case is a case of drug and frustration and from my interactions with her, she understands she is in a mess and wants to come out of it.

“She expressed sadness that she could not give her child the type of care she enjoyed under her own parents.

“Mr Governor and First Lady are particularly interested in this case and have promised to do anything possible to make her live a normal life again”, she said.

Reacting to the development, the Nigeria Olympic Committee, NOC, expressed delight over the timely intervention of the Anambra Government in the plight of Okpala.

The Public Relations Officer of NOC, Tony Nezianya, stated that Okpala was a tennis champion for many years.

READ ALSO : Rivers: Fubara appoints Edison Ehie as chief of staff, five others as advisers

Anambra Gov’t takes mentally unstable ex tennis star for rehabilitation
Tanya-Okpala

Nezianya described the lady as a national asset that deserved every attention that she could get.

“The Olympic movement in Nigeria is deeply saddened by the plight of Tanya Okpala, but we are delighted that the Anambra government has taken charge of the situation”, he said.

Also speaking, the Director of International Tennis Academy, Godwin Kienka, who tutored Okpala at a time said she was a promising young star who competed and won competitions in age group cadre before progressing to the senior level.

Kienka stated that Okpala, Jacquelyne Okwueze among others performed so well that they all got scholarships to study in America but she returned to Nigeria around 2007 due to drug related challenges.

He noted that efforts had been made to normalise the 41 years old Okpala but each time she was taken to rehabilitation centre she escaped.

The tennis buff advised young athletes and youths generally to avoid peer pressure and to stay off drugs as it always led to catastrophic end.

“Tanya Okpalla was No 1 in the ladies singles ranking at some point and won several singles and doubles titles including the CBN Senior Championships.

“Jacquelyne Okwueze is her teammate; she is still in the US as a criminal lawyer.

“I am also grateful to the gentleman who shot the clip and brought her situation to national attention and also the Anambra government that has intervened”, he said.

 

 

Credible news.ng

Tags: Anambra StateGovernor Chukwuma SoludoMrs Ify ObinaboTanya Okpala
Previous Post

LGBT approval: Why Africans are ‘special case’ – Pope Francis

Next Post

Rivers: Fubara appoints Edison Ehie as chief of staff, five others as advisers

Credible News

Credible News

Next Post
Rivers: Fubara appoints Edison Ehie as chief of staff, five others as advisers

Rivers: Fubara appoints Edison Ehie as chief of staff, five others as advisers

NRS Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
Bandits kidnap students of Federal University of Gusau

Gunmen kill nine in Plateau State

October 2, 2023
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
Governor of the CBN, Olayemi Cardoso

CBN urges wider use of alternative payment channels

August 20, 2026
Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, HCSF, Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack

Walson-Jack urges media to sustain scrutiny of civil service

August 20, 2026
Ademola Adeleke in office

APC chieftain commends Adeleke’s victims support fund

August 20, 2026
FCT Minister Nyesom Wike inspects the ongoing construction of Arterial Road N16 in Abuja and orders the immediate demolition of about 30 buildings allegedly encroaching on the Ring Road III corridor in Karsana.

Wike orders demolition of 30 illegal buildings in Karsana

August 20, 2026

Recent News

Governor of the CBN, Olayemi Cardoso

CBN urges wider use of alternative payment channels

August 20, 2026
Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, HCSF, Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack

Walson-Jack urges media to sustain scrutiny of civil service

August 20, 2026
Ademola Adeleke in office

APC chieftain commends Adeleke’s victims support fund

August 20, 2026
FCT Minister Nyesom Wike inspects the ongoing construction of Arterial Road N16 in Abuja and orders the immediate demolition of about 30 buildings allegedly encroaching on the Ring Road III corridor in Karsana.

Wike orders demolition of 30 illegal buildings in Karsana

August 20, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Governor of the CBN, Olayemi Cardoso

CBN urges wider use of alternative payment channels

August 20, 2026
Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, HCSF, Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack

Walson-Jack urges media to sustain scrutiny of civil service

August 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.