Amid public outcry ignited by viral videos depicting incidents of bullying among its students, Lead British International School Abuja has shut it doors for three days.
The shutdown order was issued on Tuesday by the Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohaneye.
The Public Relations Officer of the FCT Education Secretariat, Kabiru Musa, confirmed that the school had been shut down by the minister.
“Yes, it was shut down by the honourable Minister of Women Affairs for 3 days,” Musa in response to a Whatsapp message by one of our correspondents.
It was earlier reported that an X user, @moooyeeeee, had on Monday night posted two videos of a female student of the school being repeatedly slapped by another female classmate.
The user called for justice for the victim. Since they were posted, the videos have drawn the wrath of many users of the microblogging platform, who condemned the incident and called for the school authorities to investigate and punish the culprits.
Meanwhile Namtira Bwala, the student assaulted by her fellow students at Lead British International School, has written the school management, demanding a thorough investigation and heavy sanctions for the 11 students who bullied her.
READ ALSO: Abuja British school launches probe into viral video depicting student assault
Two of the bullies were identified to be Maryam Hassan and a certain Faliya.
Bwala, in a letter addressed to the management of her school through her lawyers at the Deji Adeyanju and Partners Law Firm, gave the school an ultimatum of 48 hours after which she will seek legal redress.
Also the Federal Capital Territory Police Command also announced the deployment of its officers to Lead British International School, in a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, Josephine Adeh, in a statement on Tuesday.
She said the move was a proactive response to alarms raised by members of the public regarding videos circulating on social media, depicting the bullying of students at the school, stating that the police were on top of the situation and that investigations were ongoing.
Adeh said, “The FCT Police Command is on top of the situation and has deployed seasoned officers to the school premises for investigations and to forestall any possible breakdown of law and order.”
Similarly, the school’s management, in a statement, also said it had begun an investigation into the matter.
However, Maryam Hassan, the student of the LBIS, who was caught on camera bullying her fellow student, Namtira Bwala, has apologized to her classmate over the incident.
Credible News.ng














