Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

Israeli defence minister challenges Netanyahu over Gaza’s future

Credible News by Credible News
May 16, 2024
in Conflict, Foreign, Human Interest, News, Security
0
Israeli defence minister challenges Netanyahu over Gaza’s future

Israeli leader, Benjamin Netanyahu

0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant has voiced open frustration at the government’s failure to address the question of a post-war plan for Gaza.

In a rare public sign of divisions over the direction of the military campaign within Israel’s war cabinet, Mr Gallant urged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to declare publicly that Israel has no plans to take over civilian and military rule in Gaza.

“Since October, I have been raising this issue consistently in the Cabinet,” he said, “and have received no response.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu responded harshly, saying he was “not ready to exchange Hamastan for Fatahstan,” in reference to rival Palestinian groups Hamas and Fatah.

Indecision, Gallant warned, would leave only two bad options in Gaza: Hamas rule or Israeli military rule.

Either “would erode our military achievements, lessen the pressure on Hamas and sabotage chances of achieving a framework for the release of hostages,” he said.

Another member of the war cabinet, Benny Gantz – who has disagreed with Netanyahu in the past – agreed with the defence minister: “Gallant speaks the truth. It is the leadership’s responsibility to do the right thing for the country at all costs.”

READ ALSO: Netanyahu vows to invade Rafah with or without a deal as cease-fire talks with Hamas continue

Mr Gallant said that the defense establishment, over which he presides, had presented a war plan to the cabinet as early as the night when Israel’s ground invasion of Gaza began last October. He said the plans included proposals “to establish a local, non-hostile Palestinian governing alternative.”

The day after Hamas, he said, would “only be achieved by Palestinian entities taking control of Gaza, accompanied by international actors.”

He said these proposals were never debated, nor were any alternatives presented.

Mr Gallant said the failure to set out a plan was leading Israel towards a “dangerous course” involving Israeli military and civilian rule over Gaza.

He described that prospect as “a negative and dangerous option for the State of Israel strategically, militarily, and from a security standpoint.”

“I must reiterate: I will not agree to the establishment of Israeli military rule in Gaza. Israel must not establish civilian rule in Gaza.”

“I call on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to make a decision and declare that Israel will not establish civilian control over the Gaza strip, that Israel will not establish military governance in the Gaza strip, and that a governing alternative to Hamas in the Gaza strip will be raised immediately.”

Israeli press reports have recently included suggestions that military leaders have grave misgivings about the lack of a viable plan for Gaza after the war ends. Mr Gallant’s comments this evening bring those misgivings out into the open in a politically explosive way.

On a visit to Ukraine on Wednesday, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that Israel needed to produce a clear plan for Gaza’s future.

“We can’t have anarchy and a vacuum that’s likely to be filled by chaos,” Mr Blinken said.

Mr Netanyahu has previously insisted that discussions on the future governance of Gaza are just “empty talk” as long as Hamas remains in the territory.

Credible News.ng

Tags: Credible NewsDefense Minister Yoav GallantIsraeli Prime Minister Benjamin NetanyahuIsraeli-Gaza war
Previous Post

CKHF, calls for promotion of positive male role models in school activities

Next Post

New release: Portable converts recent arrest into song

Credible News

Credible News

Next Post
New release: Portable converts recent arrest into song

New release: Portable converts recent arrest into song

NRS Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
Bandits kidnap students of Federal University of Gusau

Gunmen kill nine in Plateau State

October 2, 2023
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1

Advocates seek 17 autonomous federating regions in Nigeria

August 21, 2026
Ebola Vaccine

CEPI funds $4.17m studies on Ebola vaccine response

August 21, 2026
Governor of the CBN, Olayemi Cardoso

CBN urges wider use of alternative payment channels

August 20, 2026
Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, HCSF, Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack

Walson-Jack urges media to sustain scrutiny of civil service

August 20, 2026

Recent News

Advocates seek 17 autonomous federating regions in Nigeria

August 21, 2026
Ebola Vaccine

CEPI funds $4.17m studies on Ebola vaccine response

August 21, 2026
Governor of the CBN, Olayemi Cardoso

CBN urges wider use of alternative payment channels

August 20, 2026
Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, HCSF, Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack

Walson-Jack urges media to sustain scrutiny of civil service

August 20, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Advocates seek 17 autonomous federating regions in Nigeria

August 21, 2026
Ebola Vaccine

CEPI funds $4.17m studies on Ebola vaccine response

August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.