Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, resigns from church leadership

Church head resigns in England

admin by admin
November 12, 2024
in Conflict, Foreign, Human Interest, News, Religion
0
Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury, resigns from church leadership
0
SHARES
6
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby, the most senior leader in the Church of England, has resigned over his handling of a child abuse case, according to his official account.

“Having sought the gracious permission of His Majesty The King, I have decided to resign as Archbishop of Canterbury,” Welby said in a statement on Tuesday.

Pressure had been mounting on Welby in recent days, following an independent review into “sickening abuse” committed by John Smyth, a deceased British lawyer considered the worst serial abuser linked to the Church of England.

The incriminating report, commissioned by the church and released November 7, tracked a “worrying pattern of deference” to Smyth, concluding that “a serious crime was covered up.”

In Welby’s resignation statement, he said the review “has exposed the long-maintained conspiracy of silence about the heinous abuses of John Smyth.”

“When I was informed in 2013 and told that police had been notified, I believed wrongly that an appropriate resolution would follow,” Welby added. “It is very clear that I must take personal and institutional responsibility for the long and retraumatising period between 2013 and 2024.

It is unclear when Welby will leave his post. In his resignation statement, he said: “exact timings will be decided once a review of necessary obligations has been completed, including those in England and in the Anglican Communion.”

Summer camps

Smyth perpetrated “traumatic physical, sexual, psychological and spiritual attacks” on as many as 130 boys and young men, with abuse spanning from the 1970s up until his death, in 2018 – according to the Makin Review.

READ ALSO : Anglican Church head under pressure to resign amid abuse scandal

He was accused of abusing his own family members, as well as attendees of evangelical Christian summer camps he helped run for students from Britain’s prestigious private colleges in the 1970s and 1980s.

From 1984 to 2001, when Smyth relocated to Zimbabwe and then South Africa, church officers “knew of the abuse and failed to take the steps necessary to prevent further abuse occurring,” the report added. Welby worked at the summer camps that Smyth helped run. The pair exchanged Christmas cards and Welby donated small sums of money to his “missions” in Zimbabwe.

In 2017, Channel 4 News reported on Smyth’s abuse. After the publication of the independent review earlier this month, Welby told the network he “did not” ensure the allegations were pursued as “energetically” and “remorselessly” as they should have been, when he rose to the highest rank in the church, in 2013. He was first ordained as a priest in 1993.

The church’s review found that there was a “missed opportunity” in 2012 and 2013 by the highest levels of the church to “properly” report him to law enforcement.

The review said that “it is not possible to establish whether Justin Welby knew of the severity of the abuses in the UK prior to 2013,” adding: “It is most probable that he would have had at least a level of knowledge that John Smyth was of some concern.”

The Bishop of Newcastle was the most high-ranking church official to call for Welby’s resignation. On Monday, Helen-Ann Hartley told the BBC that it would be untenable for members of the clergy to “have a moral voice… when we cannot get our own house in order.”

Throughout his tenure, Welby has demanded accountability from those accused of mishandling abuse, including his predecessor, George Carey, and the former Bishop of Lincoln. Until now, there’s been no historical precedent for an Archbishop of Canterbury resigning over child abuse.

CNN

Tags: Archbishop of CanterburyChild abuseChurch of EnglandJustin Welby
Previous Post

Alabama death: Answers to Dark Chapter in American history

Next Post

Tinubu renews talks with Saudi Arabia for $5 billion loan

admin

admin

Next Post
Tinubu renews talks with Saudi Arabia for $5 billion loan

Tinubu renews talks with Saudi Arabia for $5 billion loan

NRS Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
Bandits kidnap students of Federal University of Gusau

Gunmen kill nine in Plateau State

October 2, 2023
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
Governor of the CBN, Olayemi Cardoso

CBN urges wider use of alternative payment channels

August 20, 2026
Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, HCSF, Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack

Walson-Jack urges media to sustain scrutiny of civil service

August 20, 2026
Ademola Adeleke in office

APC chieftain commends Adeleke’s victims support fund

August 20, 2026
FCT Minister Nyesom Wike inspects the ongoing construction of Arterial Road N16 in Abuja and orders the immediate demolition of about 30 buildings allegedly encroaching on the Ring Road III corridor in Karsana.

Wike orders demolition of 30 illegal buildings in Karsana

August 20, 2026

Recent News

Governor of the CBN, Olayemi Cardoso

CBN urges wider use of alternative payment channels

August 20, 2026
Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, HCSF, Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack

Walson-Jack urges media to sustain scrutiny of civil service

August 20, 2026
Ademola Adeleke in office

APC chieftain commends Adeleke’s victims support fund

August 20, 2026
FCT Minister Nyesom Wike inspects the ongoing construction of Arterial Road N16 in Abuja and orders the immediate demolition of about 30 buildings allegedly encroaching on the Ring Road III corridor in Karsana.

Wike orders demolition of 30 illegal buildings in Karsana

August 20, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Governor of the CBN, Olayemi Cardoso

CBN urges wider use of alternative payment channels

August 20, 2026
Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, HCSF, Mrs. Didi Walson-Jack

Walson-Jack urges media to sustain scrutiny of civil service

August 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.