Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

Court adjourns Emeka Ike’s ₦10bn suit against INEC

Counsel seeks adjournment after INEC fails to appear

admin by admin
July 2, 2026
in Entertainment, Legal, News, Politics
0
Nollywood actor/Politician Emeka Ike

Nollywood actor/Politician Emeka Ike

0
SHARES
5
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday adjourned until July 22 for further mention the N10bn fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by Nollywood actor Emeka Ike against the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and Lere Olayinka, media aide to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike.

When the matter, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1272/2026, came up before Justice S.O. Ibrahim on Wednesday, counsel for the plaintiff, L.T. Adeh, informed the court that the first respondent had served its response to the suit.

Adeh also told the court that hearing notices had been served on both respondents, but noted that the second respondent, INEC, was absent. He consequently prayed the court for an adjournment to enable the electoral body to appear.

Counsel for the first respondent, Akpama Ekwe, did not oppose the application but told the court he was prepared to proceed with the matter.

The plaintiff’s lawyer further informed the court that he would file his response to the first respondent’s counter-affidavit between Thursday and Friday.

Justice Ibrahim said he would grant a short adjournment in the interest of fair hearing and to afford INEC an opportunity to appear before the court.

Ekwe, however, urged the court to fix the matter for hearing, arguing that INEC could not be compelled to appear.

The judge maintained that the short adjournment was intended to give the second respondent an opportunity to participate in the proceedings.

He subsequently adjourned the case until July 22 for further mention.

The court also ordered that INEC be served with the hearing notice alongside all processes filed in the suit before the next adjourned date.

The suit stems from allegations that Ike’s personal voter registration details were unlawfully disclosed on the media aide’s official X handle after screenshots showing the transfer of his voter registration from Imo State to the Federal Capital Territory surfaced on social media.

Also Read: Emeka sues INEC, Wike’s aide over voter data leak

Ike contends that the information was published by Olayinka without his consent, allegedly after being accessed from a restricted INEC administrative portal.

In the suit, the actor is seeking N10bn in damages for the alleged breach of his right to privacy, as well as orders directing the removal of the social media post and a public apology.

INEC has, however, maintained that the incident did not result from a cyberattack on its database but from the misuse of authorized internal access credentials.

Speaking with pressmen after the hearing, Ekwe described the evidence tendered to the court by the plaintiff as ‘inadmissible’, noting that his client had not breached any law or committed any offense, adding that INEC had issued a statement to the effect that there was no breach of its servers.

“There is no case against my client. What my client published, apart from being in the public domain, does not contain any personal information. The only thing that document contained is the name of Emeka Ike and the transfer number. The second document contained his passport photograph and his name.

“So, you will agree with me that there was no personal data that was published as is alleged. So, there is actually no case against my client,” he said.

Meanwhile, Adeh said he believed that INEC “has no defense in the matter,” prompting its repeated shying away from the case.

He expressed confidence in the claim of his client, noting that the case will serve as a precedence to prevent future breach of voters’ data, adding that Ike was magnanimous to have only demanded N10bn.

“It is very possible that whoever accessed this thing must have also been able to access other records. So, it is not just Emeka Ike. But we want to use Emeka Ike’s issue and also ensure that this kind of thing is put in check. I think this is going to be a very interesting case, and we hope that the court will do justice,” he stated.

 

 

PUNCH NEWS

Tags: Emeka IkeIndependent National Electoral CommissionINECLere Olayinka
Previous Post

Plateau Govt rejects medical treatment plea by Rukuba rogue

Next Post

Court gives Mark recognition as ADC leader

admin

admin

Next Post
The National Chairman of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, Senator David Mark

Court gives Mark recognition as ADC leader

NRS Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
Bandits kidnap students of Federal University of Gusau

Gunmen kill nine in Plateau State

October 2, 2023
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
African leaders during the 2nd AMSG High-Level Roundtable in New York, United States.

Africa pushes for greater control of critical minerals

August 23, 2026
In-Vitro Fertilization

AKTH introduces IVF service to restore hope of couples

August 23, 2026
Nigerian journalist and communications expert, Muyiwa Akintunde assumes office as President of the Nigerian Institute of Journalism Alumni Association

Akintunde assumes presidency at NIJ Alumni Association

August 23, 2026
Nigerian entrepreneur and Samado Juice founder, Alhaji Abdulsamad Sanu-Harun-Idris, speaks on the company’s expansion in Saudi Arabia, where it now operates 56 outlets and creates employment opportunities for young people.

Nigeria’s Samado juice strengthens presence in Saudi Arabia

August 23, 2026

Recent News

African leaders during the 2nd AMSG High-Level Roundtable in New York, United States.

Africa pushes for greater control of critical minerals

August 23, 2026
In-Vitro Fertilization

AKTH introduces IVF service to restore hope of couples

August 23, 2026
Nigerian journalist and communications expert, Muyiwa Akintunde assumes office as President of the Nigerian Institute of Journalism Alumni Association

Akintunde assumes presidency at NIJ Alumni Association

August 23, 2026
Nigerian entrepreneur and Samado Juice founder, Alhaji Abdulsamad Sanu-Harun-Idris, speaks on the company’s expansion in Saudi Arabia, where it now operates 56 outlets and creates employment opportunities for young people.

Nigeria’s Samado juice strengthens presence in Saudi Arabia

August 23, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

African leaders during the 2nd AMSG High-Level Roundtable in New York, United States.

Africa pushes for greater control of critical minerals

August 23, 2026
In-Vitro Fertilization

AKTH introduces IVF service to restore hope of couples

August 23, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.