Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

CONCACAF asks Infantino to shun youth event amid FIFA crisis

CONCACAF chief says Infantino’s presence could overshadow the Caribbean youth competition.

Victor Kayode by Victor Kayode
August 22, 2026
in Foreign, Human Interest, News, Sports
0
CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani and FIFA President Gianni Infantino during the 2026 FIFA Congress

CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani and FIFA President Gianni Infantino during the 2026 FIFA Congress

0
SHARES
1
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani has asked FIFA President Gianni Infantino to reconsider attending a youth football tournament in the Dominican Republic this weekend, warning that his presence could overshadow the competition amid growing opposition to his leadership.

Infantino is scheduled to visit the Dominican Republic and was reportedly expected to attend the Caribbean Football Union, CFU, U-14 Series, a tournament focused on youth development.

However, Montagliani, who also serves as a FIFA Council vice president, urged the FIFA president to stay away from the event, citing what he described as a growing governance crisis within world football.

In a letter sent to Infantino on Friday and seen by Reuters, Montagliani said the FIFA president’s proposed attendance had already attracted considerable media attention.

He argued that the focus on Infantino and the controversy surrounding his leadership could divert attention from the purpose of the youth competition. “As you may be aware, your proposed attendance has garnered significant media attention,” Montagliani wrote.

He added that the media would likely focus heavily on the situation surrounding FIFA, potentially taking attention away from the technical and developmental objectives of the tournament.

“As such, I respectfully ask you in the name of football to reconsider your attendance as it will unfortunately undermine the technical nature of this important youth development activity,” he said.

The request comes amid increasing pressure on Infantino from several football confederations following his controversial proposal to sell a stake in the World Cup.

Infantino is facing opposition from three major confederations — UEFA in Europe, the Asian Football Confederation, AFC, and CONCACAF — with calls for him to step down from his position.

The FIFA president, who is seeking a fourth term that would keep him in office until 2031, could potentially face a vote of no confidence from regional football powerbrokers if opposition to his leadership continues to grow.

Also Read: New Zealand pulls support for Infantino as FIFA rift widens

Despite the controversy, Infantino received a warm welcome upon his arrival in Punta Cana, where he was received by Dominican Republic Minister of Sports and Recreation Kelvin Cruz.

Cruz expressed appreciation for the FIFA president’s visit, saying his presence would help raise the profile of football in the Caribbean nation and create opportunities for the development of the sport.

“We deeply appreciate your visit to the Dominican Republic. Without doubt, your presence in our country puts us on the international football radar and opens us great prospects for growth and development of Dominican football,” Cruz said in a statement.

Infantino was also welcomed by Dominican Football Federation President Jose Deschamps, National Commissioner of Football Benny Metz and Olympic Committee President Garibaldy Bautista Lorenzo.

The FIFA president’s visit comes at a particularly difficult period for the organisation, with several national football associations and influential officials reportedly withdrawing their support for his leadership.

The dispute has further intensified scrutiny of FIFA’s governance and Infantino’s plans for the organisation as he seeks to extend his tenure beyond 2027.

CONCACAF intervention also highlights concerns that the ongoing political and governance dispute could overshadow football development programmes, particularly events designed to promote the growth of young players.

The CFU U-14 Series is intended to provide young footballers from the Caribbean with competitive experience and opportunities to develop their skills.

With Infantino’s proposed attendance attracting significant attention, Montagliani said the focus should instead remain on the young players and the technical objectives of the tournament.

 

Al Jazeera

Tags: AFCCaribbean Football UnionConcacafDominican RepublicFIFAFIFA governanceFootballGianni InfantinoUEFAVictor Montaglianiyouth football
Previous Post

Bella Okagbue speaks on Sheggz breakup, marriage plans

Next Post

FCTA trains health workers to strengthen emergency care

Victor Kayode

Victor Kayode

Next Post
Basic Life Support, BLS, training for health workers

FCTA trains health workers to strengthen emergency care

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NRS Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
Bandits kidnap students of Federal University of Gusau

Gunmen kill nine in Plateau State

October 2, 2023
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
Zolani Tete celebrates after beating Jason Cunningham after their super-bantamweight fight in 2022

Assailants murder Tete, former boxing champion

August 22, 2026
Basic Life Support, BLS, training for health workers

FCTA trains health workers to strengthen emergency care

August 22, 2026
CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani and FIFA President Gianni Infantino during the 2026 FIFA Congress

CONCACAF asks Infantino to shun youth event amid FIFA crisis

August 22, 2026
Bella Okagbue and Sheggz

Bella Okagbue speaks on Sheggz breakup, marriage plans

August 22, 2026

Recent News

Zolani Tete celebrates after beating Jason Cunningham after their super-bantamweight fight in 2022

Assailants murder Tete, former boxing champion

August 22, 2026
Basic Life Support, BLS, training for health workers

FCTA trains health workers to strengthen emergency care

August 22, 2026
CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani and FIFA President Gianni Infantino during the 2026 FIFA Congress

CONCACAF asks Infantino to shun youth event amid FIFA crisis

August 22, 2026
Bella Okagbue and Sheggz

Bella Okagbue speaks on Sheggz breakup, marriage plans

August 22, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Zolani Tete celebrates after beating Jason Cunningham after their super-bantamweight fight in 2022

Assailants murder Tete, former boxing champion

August 22, 2026
Basic Life Support, BLS, training for health workers

FCTA trains health workers to strengthen emergency care

August 22, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.