Shop owners at the SPAR shopping mall in Calabar, Cross River State, are counting their losses after a devastating fire outbreak on Saturday
The fire, which broke out late afternoon destroyed several shops and properties within the expansive shopping complex, leaving traders and shop owners counting heavy financial losses.
The Public Relations Officer of the Cross River State Police Command, ASP Eitokpah Sunday Akata, said police officers were immediately deployed to the scene to prevent opportunists from taking advantage of the situation.
According to him, security personnel had succeeded in cordoning off the affected areas and were working to contain the looting.
“Our men have been on the ground since morning when the fire incident happened. We are battling to contain the miscreants and other looters trying to cart away valuable goods salvaged,” Akata said.
He added that the police had fenced off the affected sections of the mall to restrict access and prevent further looting.
“No casualties have been recorded so far. Properties and goods have been damaged badly. We cannot estimate the extent yet,” he said.
While the exact cause of the fire is yet to be officially established, the police spokesperson said an electrical fault was suspected to have triggered the inferno.
The incident left several shop owners devastated as they watched helplessly while their businesses and merchandise were consumed by the flames.
Also Read: Carnival Calabar 2026 set for wider global reach
Some traders were seen crying uncontrollably as the fire continued to ravage their shops, with several claiming that goods worth millions of naira had been destroyed.
The situation was particularly distressing for business owners whose insurance policies had expired or who had no insurance coverage for their shops and merchandise.
One of the affected traders, Orji Alphonsus, who deals in second-hand merchandise, said he had rented the shop barely a year ago and invested his entire savings, alongside money obtained through loans, into stocking his business.
“I am completely ruined. My entire savings are gone. How about the loans I obtained from banks to stock up the shop? How will I repay? How should I proceed with life going forward?” he lamented.
Alphonsus also appealed for assistance, saying the loss had placed his family and dependants in a difficult situation.
“I have a large family and dependants; where do I go from here? Which government will salvage me from this imminent anguish?” he asked.
As of Saturday afternoon, authorities had yet to determine the exact cause of the inferno or provide an assessment of the total value of properties destroyed.
Several fire trucks were seen arriving at the scene as efforts continued to battle the blaze. However, concerns remained over whether the available firefighting resources were sufficient to contain the raging fire and prevent it from spreading further.
The police have continued to maintain a presence around the shopping mall as emergency responders work to control the situation and protect remaining properties from looters.
Daily Post














