Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

Malami condemns EFCC raid on his residence

A disregard to the rule of law

admin by admin
March 24, 2026
in Conflict, Human Interest, Legal, News
0
Abubakar Malami Lawyer and former Federal Minister of Justice of Nigeria

Abubakar Malami Lawyer and former Federal Minister of Justice of Nigeria

0
SHARES
8
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami, SAN, has accused the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, of unlawful invasion of his residential and business premises in Abuja on Monday.

Mohammed Doka, Special Assistant on Media to the former minister described the action of the anti-graft agency as condemnable and a disregard to the rule of law.

”This is nothing short of a flagrant disregard to the rule of law, a gross abuse of power, and a dangerous precedent in a constitutional democracy.

”It represents a calculated attempt to harass, intimidate, and embarrass me, evidently on account of my political affiliations,” he said.

According to him, EFCC officials, in the company of heavily armed security personnel, forcefully invaded and took over residences and offices linked to him.

He said that the residences were also marked without presenting any valid or subsisting court order authorizing such actions.

He added that two people were taken into forceful custody in the course of the said invasion.

The former attorney general of the federation and minister of justice said that the incident occurred minutes after a solidarity visit by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar to his residence.

He said that in view of this, the development raised serious concerns about the intent, timing, and political undertones of the operation.

Also Read: EFCC charges Malami, relatives with money laundering

He noted that the case instituted against him by the EFCC at the Federal High Court, Abuja Division, before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik (Suit No: FHC/ABJ/CS/20/2026), remained ongoing.

”The Honorable Court has not made any final determination on the issues in dispute, and no order authorizing the invasion and marking of the premises was argued and granted,” he said.

He also said that the interim forfeiture order relied upon by the EFCC had elapsed.

”The ex-parte order granted on Jan. 6, was expressly time-bound for a period of 14 days, which had already elapsed.

”That order has since lapsed and cannot, under any stretch of the law, justify the EFCC’s actions today,” Malami said.

He said that at the time of the invasion, EFCC operatives were requested to produce a lawful court order authorizing their actions, but they could not.

”They failed, refused, and/or neglected to present any such order, underscoring the illegality of their conduct,” he said.

He said the EFCC proceeded in a show of force, to unlawfully occupy, mark, and assert control over his houses and offices in clear violation of due process and established legal procedures.

Meanwhile the EFCC says its decision to mark a property in Abuja linked to the former attorney general of the federation and minister of justice, followed a valid interim forfeiture order issued by a court.

Dele Oyewale, the EFCC Spokesperson, said this against the backdrop of a viral video in circulation accusing the anti-graft agency of illegally marking the former AGF’s property in Abuja.

According to him, the step is in line with standard law enforcement procedures and aimed at notifying the public of the property’s legal status.

”There is nothing illegal in the matter. The attachment or marking of property that is on a forfeiture order is a normal law enforcement action when the court has granted an interim forfeiture.”

He explained that such markings were carried out to alert the public that the property was under forfeiture.

Oyewale also dismissed claims that the commission carried out a raid on the property, insisting that officers were only enforcing a court directive.

”The commission did not raid the property. We are not involved in any such act; so there is nothing illegal about what we have done,” he added.

In the video that circulated online, Malami was seen questioning the EFCC operatives and demanding proof of the court order authorizing the action.

He argued that the order presented did not specifically mention his property and maintained that the matter remained before the court.

Also an EFCC official in the footage was heard insisting that once a property was under forfeiture, the commission has the authority to mark it.

 

 

NAN

Tags: Abubakar MalamiEFCCMohammed Doka
Previous Post

LP zones 2027 presidential ticket to South

Next Post

FG admits corruption, rights abuses plague correctional service

admin

admin

Next Post

FG admits corruption, rights abuses plague correctional service

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Tiktok

Court remands Tik Toker for posting President Tinubu’s obituary

July 25, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

May 18, 2026
Trump had labelled Iran's counter-offer to US proposals to end the war 'garbage'

Trump warns Iran “time running out” as ceasefire drags

May 18, 2026
Lexus overturns

Lexus kills policeman on Third Mainland Bridge

May 18, 2026
May & Baker Nigeria Plc., has identified hypertension treatment as a ‘lifetime medication

May & Baker seeks access to hypertension drugs

May 17, 2026

Recent News

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

May 18, 2026
Trump had labelled Iran's counter-offer to US proposals to end the war 'garbage'

Trump warns Iran “time running out” as ceasefire drags

May 18, 2026
Lexus overturns

Lexus kills policeman on Third Mainland Bridge

May 18, 2026
May & Baker Nigeria Plc., has identified hypertension treatment as a ‘lifetime medication

May & Baker seeks access to hypertension drugs

May 17, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

May 18, 2026
Trump had labelled Iran's counter-offer to US proposals to end the war 'garbage'

Trump warns Iran “time running out” as ceasefire drags

May 18, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.