Iran’s state broadcaster Press TV says, quoting a “senior political-security official”, that Iran has rejected a US proposal aimed at ending the current war.
Press TV hasn’t named the official, nor their rank or title, but reports the official says: “Iran will end the war when it decides to do so and when its own conditions are met.”
Iranian officials have repeatedly said they want a complete end to the war, not just a ceasefire.
According to Press TV, the official outlined five conditions, including a complete halt to “aggression and assassinations” by the enemy; establishment of concrete mechanisms to ensure that the war is not reimposed on the Islamic Republic; guaranteed and clearly defined payment of war damages and reparations; conclusion of the war across all fronts and for all resistance groups involved throughout the region and international recognition and guarantees regarding Iran’s sovereign right to exercise authority over the Strait of Hormuz.
Press TV says Washington has been pursuing talks through various diplomatic channels, but Tehran sees the proposals as “excessive”.
Meanwhile, President Trump says Iran’s leaders are “afraid” to admit they are negotiating with the US
The US president was speaking after Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told state media Iran had “no intention of negotiating for now” and the country will keep “defending” itself.
Also Read: Iran dismisses Trump’s bait, launch missiles on Tel Aviv
Trump’s mixed messaging suggests he’s still undecided about what exit strategy would work best, our Washington correspondent writes
Earlier, the White House said the US was “very close” to meeting its objectives in Iran, adding that Iran’s regime was looking for an “exit ramp”
Iran earlier issued five conditions to end the war, an Iranian official told state media, including a conclusion to the conflict “across all fronts” and payment of reparations
It came after Iran reportedly received a 15-point plan from the US – Tehran initially rejected the plan but Araghchi later said “if a position needs to be taken, it will certainly be determined”.
Global oil prices are trading higher on Thursday in Asia after Iran’s foreign minister said the country has “no intention of negotiating for now” with the US.
On Wednesday, Abbas Araghchi told state media that exchanges between Tehran and Washington had been “conveyed via friendly countries” and do not mean negotiations are being held.
In response US President Donald Trump said Iran’s leaders are “afraid” to admit that they are in talks.
Brent crude rose by 1.6% to $103.85 (£77.71), while West Texas Intermediate was 1.4% higher at $91.61.
BBC














