Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

UN reports 1,700 deaths in Syria’s Suweida violence

In multiple incidence that might amount to war crimes in Syria.

Credible News by Credible News
March 27, 2026
in Conflict, Crime, Foreign, News, Security
0
United Nations, UN

United Nations, UN

0
SHARES
3
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

A UN investigation reported that more than 1,700 people were killed, nearly 200,000 displaced in multiple incidence that might amount to war crimes in Syria.

According to UN, multiple actors including Syrian government forces, tribal fighters and Druze armed groups committed the acts during a week of violence in ‌southern Syria in July 2025.

The 85-page report by the Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic found that at least 1,707 people were killed in Suweida Governorate.

The majority were civilians of the Druze minority sect, alongside members of the Bedouin community and at least 225 government personnel, the report said.

The report said up to 155,000 people remain displaced describing a humanitarian situation still unresolved months after a fragile ceasefire.

Separately, a Syrian government-appointed inquiry committee into the same events said in March 17 it had documented 1,760 ⁠deaths and 2,188 injuries “from all sides.”

It also concluded there were “many human rights violations” by multiple parties, including local armed groups and individuals linked to ISIS, in addition to members of government and security forces, many of whom had been arrested.

Also Read: UN votes to recognize enslavement of Africans

The government committee, formed shortly after the violence, said its work relied on evidence collection and witness accounts and that its findings were submitted to the Justice Ministry.

The UN Commission said violations were committed by all main parties to the conflict. Many of those violations may constitute war crimes, and in some cases could amount to crimes against humanity, it said.

The report said tribal fighters who accompanied government forces during the initial phase of the operation operated under their effective control, making their actions attributable to the state, while other fighters were treated as direct participants in hostilities.

The violence unfolded in three waves ‌between July ⁠14 and July 19, 2025, about seven months after rebels toppled the regime of Bashar al-Assad, with each phase marked by attacks on civilians and widespread abuses.

In the first phase, government forces and allied fighters carried out killings, arbitrary arrests, torture, and sexual violence and looting, primarily targeting the Druze population, the report said.

In the second phase, Druze armed groups retaliated against Bedouin communities, committing killings, torture, forced displacement ​and attacks on civilian and religious ​sites, forcing the displacement of ⁠nearly all Bedouins from areas under their control.

The third phase saw thousands of tribal fighters mobilize and advance into Suweida, where they carried out widespread looting, killings and the burning of homes in dozens of villages, with nearly every house in 35 villages reported damaged or destroyed.

The ⁠commission said extrajudicial killings were widespread, with civilians including women, children, the elderly and disabled targeted during home raids and in public spaces, often accompanied by sectarian insults.

It also documented patterns of torture, abductions, sexual and gender-based violence, attacks on religious sites and systematic destruction of civilian ⁠property, often recorded and disseminated by perpetrators on social media.

While large-scale fighting subsided after a ceasefire on July 19, sporadic clashes and violations have continued, and the report warned that without accountability and political resolution, the situation remains volatile.

The commission said addressing violations, ensuring justice for victims and rebuilding trust between communities would be essential to prevent renewed violence.

Iran has issued a “decisive” warning to hotel owners in regional countries, especially Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, UAE, to refrain from accepting U.S. military personnel.

Local media reports quoted the Iranian armed forces, saying otherwise the regional countries would become legitimate targets.

The report said some surviving U.S. personnel have taken refuge in hotels in regional countries, including Bahrain and the UAE.

This happened following missile strikes and joint operations by Iran and allied resistance groups that damaged U.S. military infrastructure in West Asia, the report added.

The hotels and civilian places used by the U.S. military personnel are not limited to those in Bahrain and the UAE, it said.

It added that substitute bases and places sheltering foreign forces have also been detected in other regional states.

The U.S. Marines have been transferred to Djibouti’s international airport and deployed to the region, said the report.

 

Xinhua/NAN

 

Tags: Independent International Commission of InquirySuweida GovernorateSyrian Arab RepublicUN
Previous Post

Alo leads awareness on ovarian cancer among immigrants

Next Post

Sanwo-Olu gives smart tablets to 600,000 Lagos students

Credible News

Credible News

Next Post
Lagos State Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Sanwo-Olu gives smart tablets to 600,000 Lagos students

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Tiktok

Court remands Tik Toker for posting President Tinubu’s obituary

July 25, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

May 18, 2026
Trump had labelled Iran's counter-offer to US proposals to end the war 'garbage'

Trump warns Iran “time running out” as ceasefire drags

May 18, 2026
Lexus overturns

Lexus kills policeman on Third Mainland Bridge

May 18, 2026
May & Baker Nigeria Plc., has identified hypertension treatment as a ‘lifetime medication

May & Baker seeks access to hypertension drugs

May 17, 2026

Recent News

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

May 18, 2026
Trump had labelled Iran's counter-offer to US proposals to end the war 'garbage'

Trump warns Iran “time running out” as ceasefire drags

May 18, 2026
Lexus overturns

Lexus kills policeman on Third Mainland Bridge

May 18, 2026
May & Baker Nigeria Plc., has identified hypertension treatment as a ‘lifetime medication

May & Baker seeks access to hypertension drugs

May 17, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

Makinde comfirms kidnapping of five teachers

May 18, 2026
Trump had labelled Iran's counter-offer to US proposals to end the war 'garbage'

Trump warns Iran “time running out” as ceasefire drags

May 18, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.