Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

Vacate distressed buildings, Lagos Govt. urges residents as building collapses

Credible News by Credible News
December 22, 2023
in Development, Human Interest, Legal, News
0
Search for survivors begins at Ebute Metta building site
0
SHARES
9
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Lagos State Government on Friday advised all occupants of identified distressed buildings in the state to evacuate immediately as government would be more stringent in the application of physical planning laws.

This is contained in a statement by Mr Mukaila Sanusi, spokesman of the Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development.

Sanusi said the Commissioner in the ministry, Dr Oluyinka Olumide gave the advice at the site of a three-floor building that collapsed on Friday on Lagos Street by Herbert Macauley, Ebute-Metta.

Speaking at the site of the unfortunate incidence of the building which had a penthouse, the commissioner said the property had been marked distressed and was published in the dailies.

He said the collapsed building was partially demolished by the Lagos State Building Control Agency, LASBCA ,  after statutory notices, including evacuation that was served on the property.

He added that he recently supervised the marking and service of notices to a number of distressed buildings in the Ebute-metta area.

Olumide said that it was appalling that people would refuse to evacuate distressed buildings after being officially asked to do so.

“I deeply sympathize with the casualties but remain puzzled at why people will choose to stay in a distressed building, in spite of the serious danger to lives and property,” he said.

He urged all occupants of distressed buildings to vacate immediately as the government would be more stringent in the application of physical planning laws.

He said more information would be made available as rescue operations were ongoing.

The commissioner was accompanied by the Special Adviser Enterprise Geographical Information System (e-GIS) and Urban Development, Dr Olajide Babatunde and the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Mr Oluwole Sotire.

 

READ ALSO : Death toll in Lagos building collapse rises to three

Others on the entourage were the General Manager, Lagos State Physical Planning Permit Authority, LASPPPA, Mr Kehinde Osinaike and his LASBCA counterpart, Mr Gbolahan Oki.

Crediblenews recalls that in May 2022 after demolition of a distressed building located at 47 Jebba Street, Ebute-Metta, the state government marked over 10 others for its weeklong demolition.

The government later published a comprehensive list of 394 distressed structures across the state for demolition in March, 2023.

The government began the statewide demolition but in November, another building marked for demolition partially collapsed on Oloto Street, Borno Way, Ebute Metta.

This sparked another round of demolition of buildings around the Oyingbo and Ebute-Metta axis where occupants of sealed distressed buildings had refused to quit.

 

Crediblenews.ng

Tags: Lagos StateLASBCAMinistry of Physical Planning and Urban Development.
Previous Post

Para Games: Team Bayelsa will receive a reward from Diri

Next Post

Police in Kano State re-arrest repentant suspect for robbery, declare 72 wanted

Credible News

Credible News

Next Post
Nigeria-police-1

Police in Kano State re-arrest repentant suspect for robbery, declare 72 wanted

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Tiktok

Court remands Tik Toker for posting President Tinubu’s obituary

July 25, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
FRSC launched a special enforcement operation, code-named “Operation Guduma

FRSC unveils Operation Guduma to improve highway safety

May 18, 2026
Nasir El-Rufai has been re-arraigned before the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services

DSS re-arraigns El-Rufai again over phone tapping

May 18, 2026
Team Nigeria celebrates gold medal victory in Accra

Team Nigeria celebrates gold medal victory in Accra

May 18, 2026
The military said the strikes were carried out in the general area of Metele following intelligence reports

Nigerian, US forces kill 20 ISWAP fighters

May 18, 2026

Recent News

FRSC launched a special enforcement operation, code-named “Operation Guduma

FRSC unveils Operation Guduma to improve highway safety

May 18, 2026
Nasir El-Rufai has been re-arraigned before the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services

DSS re-arraigns El-Rufai again over phone tapping

May 18, 2026
Team Nigeria celebrates gold medal victory in Accra

Team Nigeria celebrates gold medal victory in Accra

May 18, 2026
The military said the strikes were carried out in the general area of Metele following intelligence reports

Nigerian, US forces kill 20 ISWAP fighters

May 18, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

FRSC launched a special enforcement operation, code-named “Operation Guduma

FRSC unveils Operation Guduma to improve highway safety

May 18, 2026
Nasir El-Rufai has been re-arraigned before the Federal High Court in Abuja by the Department of State Services

DSS re-arraigns El-Rufai again over phone tapping

May 18, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.