A 69-year-old United States mountaineer died on Monday on Mout Everest in the fourth fatality on the world’s highest peak this climbing season.
Jonathan Sugarman, who died after falling ill at a camp as he prepared to tackle the world’s tallest mountain was on an acclimatisation rotation at around 6,400 metres when he died, his expedition organiser said.
“He was feeling unwell and passed away at Camp 2. Efforts are underway to bring back his body.
“We are trying to send a helicopter but it is snowing and the weather is not favourable”, said Pasang Tshering Sherpa of Beyul Adventure, a local partner of US-based expedition organiser International Mountain Guides
IMG chief Eric Simonson in a statement on the company’s website said: “We can confirm that this event was not the result of a climbing accident or route condition that would be of potential impact or safety concern to any other teams on the mountain”.
Last year, Sugarman reached Camp 3 on Everest before abandoning a climb.
Credible News reports that this year’s spring climbing season on Everest had a tragic start last month with the death of three Nepali climbers.
The trio were crossing the treacherous Khumbu icefall as part of a supply mission when a block of glacial ice fell and swept them into a deep crevasse.










