Credible News
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports
No Result
View All Result
Credible News
No Result
View All Result

WHO reassures public amid Ebola concerns

With the current Ebola outbreak in Congo, DRC, and Uganda

Hafsat Abubakar by Hafsat Abubakar
May 19, 2026
in Foreign, Health, News
0
Prof. Mohamed Janabi,, WHO, Regional Director for Africa

Prof. Mohamed Janabi,, WHO, Regional Director for Africa

0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The World Health Organization , WHO, Africa Region has cautioned against panic, with the current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, DRC, and Uganda being classified a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, PHEIC,.

According to it,  “Fear by itself is an outbreak” and “Ebola is highly manageable” Prof. Mohamed Janabi, World Health Organization , WHO, Regional Director for Africa, said this while reacting to the Ebola outbreak in the DRC and Uganda. Janabi, a Cardiologist, urged the public to rely on accurate information.

He explained that the classification would help to bring Ebola to international attention, mobilise resources more quickly and ensure countries worked together in a coordinated way.

“Ebola disease is a severe, often fatal illness affecting humans and other primates. “But it does not mean people should panic. It means the global system is working as it should be, detecting and responding very decisively,” he added, calling on the media to disseminate correct information

“Fear by itself is an outbreak,” he said. According to him, Ebola is a very serious disease, but it is one that we know how to control.

“`At now, we have seen the outbreak in two countries: DRC and Uganda. “Health authorities with the WHO support have already identified cases, tracing contacts. Putting together health response strategies in these two countries.

“WHO had classified it as emergency of international concern. “This the highest alert WHO can issue, which helps to bring international attention, moblise resources more quickly and ensure countries work together in a coordinated way.”

Janabi said WHO had been working to stop the outbreak in two counties with relevant authorities and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, in contact tracing and treatment.

“We are engaging communities to create awareness; we are trying to strengthen cross border surveillance to prevent the spread. “We are mobilising partners across Africa to make sure that these countries get the experience and expertise they needed. We are applying the experience we used in the past to curtail it this time around.”

The UN official, however, said that vaccine was not the only way to curtail Ebola, adding it was  important to heighten surveillance, trace contact and treatment, noting that “all of these is what we call management of Ebola cases”.

Alos Read: FG, EU, WHO launch €4.2m initiative against diseases

As of Saturday May 16, health authorities had recorded eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases and 80 suspected deaths in Ituri province in eastern DRC.

On Sunday, unconfirmed reports indicated that an individual had tested positive for Ebola in the rebel-held city of Goma, capital of North Kivu province and home to one million people.

The confirmed case was believed to be the wife of a man who died after contracting Ebola in Bunia, capital of Ituri province. Another individual who had travelled from Bunia to Beni in North Kivu also tested positive for Ebola.

Cases have also been confirmed in the DR Congo capital, Kinshasa, and across the border in Uganda, where two infected individuals travelled from DRC and were admitted to intensive care.

The Ugandan capital, Kampala, was also impacted, WHO said. The agency is supporting the Government-led response with 42 health professionals on the ground and supplies already deployed.

The agency has warned that the outbreak was likely larger than currently detected, pointing to clusters of unexplained deaths, a high positivity rate among tested samples and limited understanding of transmission patterns. At least four deaths among healthcare workers had raised concerns over infection prevention measures in health facilities.

In a statement, the UN agency noted that there was no approved therapy or vaccine to treat the Bundibugyo virus  responsible for the current outbreak. “The ongoing insecurity, humanitarian crisis, high population mobility, the urban or semi-urban nature of the current hotspot and the large network of informal healthcare facilities further compound the risk of spread, as was witnessed during the large Ebola virus disease epidemic in North Kivu and Ituri provinces in 2018-19,” WHO said.

Meanwhile, experts have stressed that the chances of another global pandemic like the 2019 coronavirus emergency were increasing all the time.

“The world is not safer from pandemics”, experts from the Global Preparedness Monitoring Board , GPMB, who underscored how the world’s vulnerability was exposed by an Ebola outbreak a decade ago and then by the “global catastrophe” of COVID 19, said.

“As infectious disease outbreaks become more frequent they are also becoming more damaging, with widening health, economic, political and social impacts, and less capacity to recover from them,” the experts said in a new report.

NAN

Tags: Prof. Mohamed JanabiPublic Health Emergency of International ConcernWorld Health Organization
Previous Post

Gov. Abdulrazaq endorses Seriki as his successor

Next Post

Politician denies involvement in N460m Hajj scam

Hafsat Abubakar

Hafsat Abubakar

Next Post
Ibrahim Kado

Politician denies involvement in N460m Hajj scam

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

Kwara State university campus in Osi ready for first lectures

November 18, 2024
Police warn Lagosians against economic disturbance during NLC protest

Police in Kano urges caution as Muslims begin Ramadan

March 11, 2024
In the dark: UCH’s mounting power crisis

Is UCH in darkness: Need for responsible journalism!

February 9, 2025
Tiktok

Court remands Tik Toker for posting President Tinubu’s obituary

July 25, 2025
Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

Corper recounts ordeal of Agunechemba attack, seeks prosecution

2

ADC begins online membership registration

2
Biden arrives Israel

Biden visits Israel amidst killing of more Palestinians

1
handcuffs

Police arrests 34-year-old man for raping 90-year-old woman

1
Katsina Police Command spokesperson, DSP Abubakar Sadiq-Aliyu

Police neutralise kidnap threat, recover cattle

May 19, 2026
Arsenal survives West Ham scare with lone goal

Arsenal are once again champions of the English League

May 19, 2026
EFCC arrests Mamman in Kaduna

EFCC nabs Mamman, former minister in Kaduna

May 19, 2026
Activist, Politician, Omoyele Sowore

Sowore reluctant to defend cyberbullying charge

May 19, 2026

Recent News

Katsina Police Command spokesperson, DSP Abubakar Sadiq-Aliyu

Police neutralise kidnap threat, recover cattle

May 19, 2026
Arsenal survives West Ham scare with lone goal

Arsenal are once again champions of the English League

May 19, 2026
EFCC arrests Mamman in Kaduna

EFCC nabs Mamman, former minister in Kaduna

May 19, 2026
Activist, Politician, Omoyele Sowore

Sowore reluctant to defend cyberbullying charge

May 19, 2026
Credible News

At Credible News we seek, process and serve news, opinions and analyses that are verifiable and reliable.
We also provide readers with authentic and credible facts and figures, news, opinions and analyses to make informed choices.

Follow Us

Browse by Category

  • Accident
  • Agriculture
  • Banking
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Development
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Foreign
  • Global Trade
  • Health
  • Human Interest
  • ICT
  • Interviews
  • Legal
  • Life Style
  • News
  • Oil & Gas
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Trending
  • Women

Recent News

Katsina Police Command spokesperson, DSP Abubakar Sadiq-Aliyu

Police neutralise kidnap threat, recover cattle

May 19, 2026
Arsenal survives West Ham scare with lone goal

Arsenal are once again champions of the English League

May 19, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Conflict
  • Crime
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Foreign
  • Health
  • ICT
  • Legal
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Sports

© 2024 Credible News - The place for all factual stories. Designed by VintoICT Solutions.