Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from tennis after testing positive for cocaine, with the Australian admitting responsibility for what he described as a “huge mistake.”
The International Tennis Integrity Agency, ITIA, announced the provisional suspension of the 31-year-old on Wednesday following a positive test for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.
The sample was collected during an ATP 250 tournament in Mallorca in June, while a World Anti-Doping Agency, WADA-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of the banned substance on July 17.
Kyrgios has been under provisional suspension since August 4 and is currently barred from participating in tennis activities covered by the sport’s anti-doping regulations.
In a statement posted on Instagram, Kyrgios apologized to his fans, family, sponsors and those close to him, while acknowledging the impact of his actions on young people who look up to him. He said he accepted full responsibility for the failed test and would not make excuses for his actions.
Also Read: Erling Haaland’s face appears on cocaine packs
Kyrgios also provided context about his recent struggles, saying a series of injuries over the past few years had taken a significant toll on him both physically and mentally.
The Australian explained that dealing with the limitations imposed by his injuries and confronting the possibility that he may be nearing the end of his professional career had been particularly difficult.
Kyrgios, who reached a career-high ranking of No. 13 in the world, said tennis had been a major part of his life and that coming to terms with potentially leaving the sport had been one of his greatest challenges.
Under tennis anti-doping rules, cocaine is classified as a stimulant and substance of abuse on the WADA Prohibited List and is prohibited during competition.
During his provisional suspension, Kyrgios is prohibited from playing in, coaching at or attending events organized by World Tennis, the WTA, ATP, Grand Slam tournaments or national tennis associations.
The Australian has not appealed the provisional suspension. Kyrgios also announced that he would temporarily step away from social media and public life for 28 days to focus on his wellbeing and addressing the issues he has been experiencing.
The former Wimbledon finalist concluded his statement by apologizing again and promising to work on himself before returning to public life.
Kyrgios has faced a difficult period in his career due to persistent injuries, which have significantly limited his appearances on the professional circuit in recent seasons.
Al Jazeera













